Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Beef and Macaroni

.
Beef and macaroni was one of my all time favorites during grade school and Jr High whilst I was growing up.

About six weeks ago I was hungry for this childhood favorite and it was my day to make dinner. I searched the web and found many versions. I settled on one I found on the Food Network by Paula Deen.

It was wonderful!

Just what I was looking for. Tonight I'm making it for the third time. Tomorrow is "Grazing Day" at work where everyone brings in food and we eat all day long (or so it seems.) I'm making this for sharing tomorrow. We'll enjoy some tonight, of course, but I'll take it to work tomorrow.


You'll find the recipe below. I have modified it from the original based on comments of others. The original is here.

This is just before adding the macaroni.



Then add the macaroni and stir it in.



After it's done it looks like this.



Very, very good. I think it will be a big hit tomorrow.

We serve it with sour cream on top and a side of cornbread. You can serve it tomorrow!

As promised, here's the recipe.



Bobby’s Goulash

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups water
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked

In a Dutch oven, sauté the ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up the meat while sautéing. Spoon off any grease.

Add the onions and garlic to the pot and sauté until they are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, House Seasoning, and seasoned salt. Stir well. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves, and allow the mixture to sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

Serve with garlic bread and a salad.

House Seasoning: 1 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder Mix the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months. Use as a seasoning on meat and when cooking vegetables.


Enjoy!
.